With craft beers moving along in popularity, beer and food pairing is becoming more essential in everyone’s home. That is why we are bringing you the perfect combo… Carne Asada con Mojo pairs perfect with any Double IPA out there. We are going to tell you how to make this dish as well as our beer of choice with it.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (save 2 of the juiced halves)
- 1/2 cup Mexican lager beer such as Modelo Especial
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 sprig (6 in.) fresh rosemary
- 1 large red onion, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half moons
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- Warm corn tortillas
- Hot sauce, such as Tapatio brand, or salsa
- Combine orange juice, beer, oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, bay leaves, and rosemary in a glass 9- by 13-in. baking dish. Add orange halves, onion, and steak and mix with your hands to coat evenly. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, or chill, covered, 2 hours (no longer, or the citrus will “cook” the meat), turning meat occasionally.
- Heat a grill to very high (550° to 650°). Discard rosemary, bay leaves, and orange halves. Drain meat and onions. Put onions on a doubled sheet of foil and turn up edges just a little to make a shallow 6- by 9-in. container.
- Grill onions on the foil, stirring occasionally with tongs, until edges start to char, 8 to 10 minutes. Add steak to grill and cook, turning once, until well browned and done the way you like, 8 minutes for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak and onions to a board; slice steak. Serve with tortillas, guacamole, and hot sauce.